Monday, March 23, 2009

What's in a name?

So I have thought for a couple of years that I'd really like to start my own business. Nothing special mind you, as I know how tough it is to make it in the world of nature photography, well, photography in general.

I have had my own website for at least five or six years, http://www.caperiver.com/, and I use the site to host my genealogy site and I used to host some forums. I have always like the name, it has always spoken to me of some far off wild place and I always thought it would make such a cool name for a nature photography company.

Now I am not so sure.

I started thinking that perhaps it should be different as the name really doesn't mean anything. This past winter my wife and I met with a portrait photographer to discuss how she got into business and how her business model worked. Part of the discussion we had was how she chose a name for her business. Her thoughts around how she works and how she markets herself work perfectly with the name she chose.

I know that this is just one example, but I am not sure that I can market myself under Cape River Photography if I am taking senior portraits, where's the reference?

I guess the one nice thing, is that I do have a free hosting account that I haven't used yet, so I'll be able to set up another web site when I do finally get a name picked.

Though really, what's really in a name?

No comments:

Post a Comment